The School playing fields were a significant feature of the new site.
The playing fields were in fine condition when the war began and they have been in use most Saturday afternoons since September.
During the War, however, it was not possible to use them for playing sports. The playing fields housed a Lewis Gun which was used to repel enemy aircraft. These WW1-era guns were not considered state-of-the-art but, due to a shortage small arms, especially after Dunkirk (May 1940), the Lewis Gun was taken out of reserve stocks and issued to the Home Guard (like those stationed in Hampton).
The Battle of Britain brought with it fear of possible German invasion. The Royal Engineers were tasked with digging trenches and cutting up the fields to prevent the possibility of enemy aircraft being able to land on such a vast area of land.
Loss of the School games’ facilities was made inevitable by arranging for the Royal Engineers to cut up more of the school field ‘so it cannot be used by enemy aircraft.’