Hampton Sports Chronicle, Creative Writing Awards and Spelling Bee!
Welcome to the Third Year Blog!
Well done everyone for making it through to half term! We hope everyone has a relaxing a restful break!
On Monday the Third Years were in assembly to hear a talk from Andrew McHutchon OH (2007). Andrew spoke about his career, including working for the Mclaren F1 team as a mechanical engineer. The boys enjoyed Pens Down Day on Wednesday, practising their oracy in particular. The Headmaster congratulated all those pupils involved in the senior play, Punk Rock, and the successful French and Mandarin debating teams. Mr Nicholson finished the assembly by announcing the start of No Limits Week and reminded all the First, Second and Third Years to sign off their No Limits cards this week.
Third Year Special Mentions
Well done to those Third Year boys who had their artwork displayed in the Art Exhibition in the Exhibition Gallery this week.
The following boys from 3G and 3H had lunch with Mr Woods and Miss Smith this week. They discussed their transition into Third Year life at Hampton and what they liked about Hampton and any potential improvements they would make. The boys were:
Jai E, William B, Thomas F, Freddie M, Jack M, Matthew B, Freddie B, Oliver G, James W, Josh P, Joe R, Frank H, Marcus O, Xavi R, Ivo M, Alex W and Sam Y
Pens Down Day
Wednesday saw the second and final Pens Down Day of the Year. Boys were able to leave their pencil cases at home and enjoy an exciting day learning in a huge variety of innovative and fun ways! There was certainly a buzz around the school as the boys enjoyed a wide range of active lessons!
No Limits Week
Well done to all Third Year boys for completing No Limits Week. Remember to get your cards signed off and hand these in to your Form tutors!
Modern Languages Week
The Modern Languages Department is organising a whole week dedicated to Languages straight after half term! Modern Languages week promises to be entertaining! Watch out for the posters around school for details of all the lunch time talks and events that will be taking place!
A quick taster of just some of the fun activities to look forward to:
- Read the accounts of your Languages teachers on their year abroad
- Guess the language competition (around the school)
- Guess the City landmark competition
- Language Quiz
- Last but not least, enjoy international cuisine throughout the week
There are also events happening at lunchtime. Look out for the following:
Tuesday 25 February
- Hampton Rocks Around the World Charity concert in the Hammond theatre Hamptonians will be putting their languages and music skills to the test in this international charity concert. Come and support this year’s selected charities whilst enjoying international music
Wednesday 26 February
- Can you create your own language? in the Hammond Theatre Professor David Adger will be offering a workshop on linguistics and the fun mechanisms of languages. Come along and enjoy the chance to create your own language with your friends.
Thursday 27 February
- “The value of languages” with Joe Terry (OH 09) in the Lecture Theatre Joe is a qualified translator and interpreter working primarily in football. Some of his clients include UEFA, FIFA and several top Italian football clubs. Joe will be talking about the value of languages in the world of journalism and translation
The Modern Languages Department hope that this will make our first week back a little bit more special!
Creative Writing Awards 2020
Are there any budding authors out there? Get your creative juices flowing over half term and put pen to paper! To enter, write a story opening of no more than 750 words and submit a printed version to the English Office by 9am on Thursday 27 February.
You could win a place on a Creative Writing Masterclass with published writer Sara Grant. Book vouchers are up for grabs too, and the winners will have their writing published in this summer’s edition of Lion Print, Hampton’s Creative Arts magazine. All information can be found on the Firefly section for the Creative Writing Awards (links below):
All information can be found on the Firefly section for the Creative Writing Awards (links below):
Have a listen to Second Year Adam’s entry from last year’s competition:
If you have any questions, please speak to your English teacher.
The Wizard of Oz
Congratulations and well done to all Third Year boys who took part in The Wizard of Oz this week! Great performances from all!
Read all about it and take a look at some of the photos: the wizard of oz
Hampton Sports Chronicle
Calling all would be sports journalists!
If you’d like to write about Hampton sport for the Hampton Sports Chronicle online or for the magazine published in the Summer term, why not come along to the Hampton Sports Chronicle meeting on Friday lunchtime?
We meet every Friday at 1.15 in room 54 in the English Department and we’d love to see some new faces today. All years welcome.
Third Year Inter-Form Spelling Bee
Well done to all the Third Years competing in the Inter-Form Spelling Bee. It was a tight competition but 3D were crowned victors with their successful spelling of Theodicy!
Here’s a taste of the hotly contested Spelling Bee competition: