I hope you have had an enjoyable start to the year and are now fully settled back into your work and extra-curricular routines.
My plan is to try and email you every 3 weeks or so to provide key dates and information regarding your academic work and try to provide an overview of some of the things that have been going on in the fifth year. We have a wide array of talents within the year group and it should be interesting to find out what some of your peers have been up to.
If you feel like some updates have been missed please make sure you keep us up to date on what you are doing so we can include it in the next email. Details should be emailed as follows:
- Thank you for all your help on open day
- Well done to you all for your excellent behaviour during the Futurewise career testing last week and the fire alarm test, this week
- A-level information evening takes place on the 6th October (6:45pm start in the main hall). If you need a new booklet please collect one from my office. You are allowed to work in the library until 5:30pm but you are expected off-site between 5:30 and 6:45pm
- Your grade cards will be inputted by teachers on 17th October so please make sure you have a good run in to these and try to get the best set of grades that you can
- Elevate Education will be running a study morning on Thursday 20th October
- Merits: 10 merits, once signed-off by me, will get you breakfast voucher worth the equivalent of a bacon or sausage roll and sauce and an entry into an end of term raffle; worth coming to get them signed off (no-one has yet)!
- West Side Story – Jonnie Clark, Matt Mundy and Dylan Evans Hutchison (all 5G) are in the cast of West Side Story. Will Nettleton (5C) is playing in the West Side Story Orchestra alongside Reuben Botha (5G)
- Peter Woo (5C) is running Aviation Club with Mr Richards every Thursday and Friday
- Tom Morrison (5D) has been invited to perform in the Primary Proms at the Royal Albert Hall with the Brass Dectet from the Royal College of Music Junior Department
- 5th year boys Felix Boardman (5F) and Martin Schon (5J) recorded the first Modern Languages podcast this week for the recently launched Hampton Radio. The boys were impressed by the equipment and facilities and gave an excellent performance of a Stromae (Belgium artist) interview about music
- The following 5th years were incredibly impressive in their debating and diplomacy skills for the Model United Nations Conference at Reigate Grammar school on Saturday:
- Henry de Oliveira (5A)
- Alfie Watkins (5B) (won Outstanding delegate award)
- Alwaleed Al Doory (5C) (won Highly Commendable delegate award)
- Danyaal Farooqi (5F)
- Oliver Lee (5G) took part in a Sea Cadets competition over the whole of last weekend involving orienteering, camping and assault courses
- Lucas Norfolk (5A) reached the quarter-finals of the National Taekwondo Championships on Sunday, ending with a close match against a member of the Team GB squad
- Xavier Rey-Marcia (5C) has been coaching football at Twickenham FC
- Came from behind to win a hard fought game against John Fisher by a single point!
- A Man of the match performance from Felix Boardman (5F) on the wing helped bring about a 34-12 victory against Canford
- Started the season on a positive note with strong wins at home over John Fisher (15-8) and Canford (48-5)
- A tense 17-21 defeat away at St. Albans included a wonder try by Alan Blackman-Rogers (5D) and provided a good learning experience for the team
- Led by Archie Pink (5F) the team is very spirited and have already shown that they fear no one
- There was a solid victory from the U16A squad away at Eton 4-1. A poetic score (quartre-un/ “quatrain”) in a scenic venue. Hampton quickly took the lead after two minutes and showed solidity and creativity throughout the game. An excellent performance supported by many Hampton parents
- On Wednesday 28 September, Hampton U16A had to go through extra-time to win their place to the second round of the ESFA cup. Boys were up against a tough, dynamic, talented and disciplined St Bonaventure’s team. The boys revealed resilience and composure and demonstrated an impressive technical ability. Harry Short (5J) finally put an end to this thriller in the second half of extra time. Boys have improved a lot defensively and generally as a team in the last 2 weeks and their effort and good attitude has started to pay dividends.
- Three Fifth Year swimmers represented the school at Harrow last week – Iwan Jones (5D), Michael Walsh (5E) and Toby Tolson (5E)
- The basketball team have opened their season with Ethan Delaney Smith (5F) being selected for the first competitive fixture of the season
- The U16 team played in the Richmond Schools Championships this week with David Suk (5D) representing the Fifth year
If you have read this far, well done! As a reward you can answer my quiz question below. First 3 correct answers are eligible for an edible prize.
- Which tech giant was recently ordered by the European Union to pay 13bn euros of back-tax in Ireland?